Updating to v3.6

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
jamal

Updating to v3.6

Post by jamal »

Having purchased MyInfo, I downloaded and installed it yesterday. The version was 3.59. I see that the latest version is 3.6 with quite a few bug fixes. I like to update my installation to 3.6. How can I do that?
kf

Post by kf »

You should be able to just install over top of 3.59. That's what I did. As long as you dont uninstall first and put 3.60 into the same folder, your settings should be retained.

Kevin
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

jamal wrote:Having purchased MyInfo, I downloaded and installed it yesterday. The version was 3.59. I see that the latest version is 3.6 with quite a few bug fixes. I like to update my installation to 3.6. How can I do that?
You should receive an email with update instructions.
writeaway

Post by writeaway »

Careful. Wait for the update instructions. Since I upgraded to 3.59 by installing over my previous version I've had nothing but problems. I've been checking this website hoping to hear how everyone is faring with 3.6 before even considering downloading it myself for fear of even more disasters. Let us know how it goes.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

MyInfo 3.59 really introduced some unexpected problems, which were caused by a third-party library we use (most problems were paste/import related). MyInfo 3.60 fixes these problems and some others.
jamal

Post by jamal »

My 3.59 installation was only one day old and didn't have anything in it. I uninstalled it and installed 3.6. The installation went smoothly. Then I imported few documents from a windows folder into an existing topic (which was tiny leftover from trial version). After the import, I noticed an error message, something to do with indexing or array index [0] out of bound. I let it send the error message automatically, but unfortunately did not note it down. In any case, I am just beginning to use the tool, I plan to delete the imported documents (as there are only few) and start over again.. I am debating whether to import or to copy/paste document contents from windows to myInfo. What are the pros and cons? I don't care to maintain those documents in windows folders, which will go out of sync anyway when and if I modify the imported documents in myInfo.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It is up to you which method to use. Just use the one you feel more comfortable with. Import from folder gives you faster import and import by copy and paste gives you more control over the collecting of information.
writeaway

Post by writeaway »

jamal wrote:My 3.59 installation was only one day old and didn't have anything in it. I uninstalled it and installed 3.6. The installation went smoothly. Then I imported few documents from a windows folder into an existing topic (which was tiny leftover from trial version). After the import, I noticed an error message, something to do with indexing or array index [0] out of bound. I let it send the error message automatically, but unfortunately did not note it down. In any case, I am just beginning to use the tool, I plan to delete the imported documents (as there are only few) and start over again.. I am debating whether to import or to copy/paste document contents from windows to myInfo. What are the pros and cons? I don't care to maintain those documents in windows folders, which will go out of sync anyway when and if I modify the imported documents in myInfo.
If you decide on the copy/paste method, I'd like to know how it goes with your 3.6 version. 3.59 allows me to paste only parts of the text from any file or web page that has graphics.
jamal

Post by jamal »

Writeaway, So far I've copy/pasted few rtf documents and web pages that have both text and graphics without any problem. To be accurate, I should say in some cases the original formatting is not retained. For example, if the source document has graphic and text in two columns (side by side), MyInfo inserts them in one column (one below the other). It's not a big issue for me; I've seen worse results when copy/pasting into MS Wordpad.