Bookmark paragraph

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
joshi

Bookmark paragraph

Post by joshi »

I like this new feature in MI5 - in fact, it was my main reason for upgrading - but I'm not fond of the way the bookmark is displayed, with the dotted line going across the text pane. In future updates, would it be possible to indicate the bookmark with a less visually disruptive symbol?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Yes, this is in the plans for the first service update.
joshi

Post by joshi »

Great! Thanks, Petko.
mathom

Post by mathom »

And while we're at it, is there an easy way to delete existing bookmarks? Quite a few topics that I've copied and pasted from other sources seem to contain "bookmarks" that aren't actually linked to anything. For example, every HTML <A name=whatever> tag becomes a bookmark when you paste it into a topic. If the name attribute is six characters long, MyInfo treats it as a legal bookmark when you do a "Copy Link to this Paragraph."
Of course, this is all a moot point as long as we don't see the bookmarks. The problem is that when we see them, we want to manipulate them -- add and delete them, move them, name them, add them to the favorites list so we can jump to them... Once you get us started, troublemakers like me are going to be making all sorts of ridiculous demands. Be prepared!
I just noticed that there's another potential problem with copying and pasting bookmarks: if you copy part of a bookmarked paragraph and paste it in a different paragraph in the same topic, you may accidentally copy the bookmark as well. The topic now has two paragraphs with the exact same bookmark. MyInfo jumps to the first instance of the bookmark, so the destination of the link will be changed if you happen to paste the duplicate bookmark into an earlier paragraph.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

These are legal concerns:

* You can delete a bookmark. Just right click on the paragraph and select the Remove Bookmark command in the context menu
* Because bookmarks are only used for links inside MyInfo, they will be probably filtered out when pasting in the future updates of MyInfo
* So, we will find a solution for the copy and paste problem
mathom

Post by mathom »

Filtering sounds like a good idea. The Delete Bookmark option doesn't work on imported bookmarks that don't have a six-character name, but if you filter it, I can just Select All on the topic, cut it, and paste it back in without any bookmarks. Works for me. Might be a good idea to pop up a warning ("Did you really want to delete that bookmark?") when your filter finds a legitimate MyInfo bookmark right after a Cut operation.
wsp

Post by wsp »

I've experimented with only a few paragraph links so far, but I noticed that when MI jumps to them, it displays the linked paragraph at the bottom of the screen. Wouldn't it be better to place the paragraph in the middle of the screen as a default?
Bill