Creating user attributes, forms and templates

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
nocar

Creating user attributes, forms and templates

Post by nocar »

Having used Milenix MyInfo products for the past 12 years -- from version 4 through version 7, I can safely say that I am not proficient.

I have used MyInfo knowledge bases in what I describe as a freeform manner. Using terminology that pertains to version 7, I work mainly with plain Notes. I also know that each Note has default attributes that fill in automatically.

But I would like to become better in using this program. For example, I would like to create a new type of note for my Contacts. It would have to contain new user attributes such as First Name, Last Name, Company, Address, Mobile phone number, Work phone number, Home phone number, etc. I would also like to create a form called Contact. And I would like a new template called Contact.

What do I do first?
Do I create new user attributes first?
If so, in which Category do I place the new user attributes: Common, Template or Task?
Can I ever create a new Category?
Do I then create the Contact form before creating the new Contact template?
Etc., etc.

Perhaps others on this forum have developed a logical approach that could be standardized and shared with less knowledgeable users such as myself. It would then be beneficial if the Help manual could incorporate such a step-by-step guide as to how accomplish these tasks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input from those more in the know.
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Hi nocar,
I'm not an expert in MyInfo as I use it as you're using it now but I do have experience in designing databases so can give you a few hints.

A few questions I can answer right away are -
- Can I ever create a new Category? Yes, when you create a new attribute "View-Attributes-New", if you click on the Category box and just start typing it will create a new Category, which you can then select with the drop down menu for other attributes. Think about of the name(s) you want for the Category since deleting them later can be a little confusing and difficult.

- Do I create new user attributes first? Pretty much, but the very first thing I would do is plan out what you want. What fields, in what position and what type of Attribute. The easiest ways are using an outline or even just pencil and paper. This way you can see and think about what kinds of fields you need and where before you go in and do it. It's always easier to have a look at things and have a plan before you start since it can get confusing to change things afterwards.
i.e.-
-Contacts
- First Name (Text)
- Last Name (Text)
- Birthday (Date)
- Christmas Card List (Checkbox)
etc.

After you create the Attributes, then you can follow Petko's earlier post from a different thread - "How do I make a template w/ Attributes In It"

"You need first to create a new form with the attributes that you want to use in the template as described here:
https://manual.myinfoapp.com/#_forms

Then you go to View > Templates, create a new note template and set the note Form to the newly created one."

Wish I could be of more help,
Larry
nocar

Post by nocar »

Larry,
I very much appreciate the clear explanations, logical steps and practical advice. You have been of great help.

I had not realized that creating a new Category of attributes involved merely typing a new name into Category input box rather than selecting one of the existing default categories.

If others have been stymied by the sequence of processes to take, they now have your step-by-step blueprint to follow.

Thank you.
George
loljim

Post by loljim »

This is a really helpful guide, thanks a lot.
I study astrology and I love it. By the way, my zodiac sign is Cancer. According to the Cancer compatibility chart, I knew that my best couple is Pisces, now I'm looking for her :)