insert document clarification

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
JanRif

insert document clarification

Post by JanRif »

Help File states: Data documents
Data documents are documents containing an embedded file. Examples of data documents are documents containing attached Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Adobe Acrobat PDF files, and WinZip archives.

MyInfo allows you to view and change the contents of the data documents.

I don't understand how this works. I tried w an open office spredsheet & i can insert spreasheet into workpage but can't update it. I'm doing something wrong but what?
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In order to edit the embedded file, you have to use Edit file instad of View file in the Attachment pane. When you click Edit file, a dialog with two buttons will appear: Save and Cancel. After you are ready editing the file, click Save and it will be updated in MyInfo.
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Petko, I'm sorry I still don't understand. Maybe I'm not inserting the correct kind of document or focusing my cursor at the correct place but I don't see this. Thanks.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
kf

Post by kf »

I believe your confusion lies in expecting MyInfo to show the spreadhseet within the textpane. As I understand it, if MyInfo can read the file it will put the contents into the textpane. If not, you have to edit the file in the default application. In this case, MyInfo gives you tools to make this easier. If you click on the Edit File button in the attachment pane, the file opens and you can edit it. Once done, click on the messagebox to save the file. The files are technically not being edited by MyInfo, however.

Have I addressed your confusion? I don't use this feature (just played around with it from time to time) so I may just be adding to the problem!

Kevin

[edit] In rereading your post, I have one question of clarification (and I'm not trying to sound silly... It's just a natural knack!): do you know what the "attachment pane" that petko refers to is? From your last response I can't tell if you can't find the inserted file or the attachment pane.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jan, maybe the confusion is caused by the fact that you copy some data from Excel and paste it in MyInfo text editor? This way you can edit the data only in the MyInfo text editor, but not in Excel. In order to be able to edit Excel spreadsheet in Excel, but store it in MyInfo, you have to insert it as Data Document.

To do that, click Insert Document From File, browse for the Excel spreadsheet file and click OK. Now click on the Embedded File tab in the text editor and then click Edit File in order to edit the spreadsheet. Once you are done editing the file, click Save Changes the changes you have made to the spreadsheet will be saved back in MyInfo.
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Petko wrote:[snip]click Insert Document From File, browse for the Excel spreadsheet file and click OK. Now click on the Embedded File tab in the text editor and then click Edit File in order to edit the spreadsheet. Once you are done editing the file, click Save Changes the changes you have made to the spreadsheet will be saved back in MyInfo.
When you say saved back in MyInfo, this does not mean I can see file "in" MyInfo like a "magic" window. This means I have saved a link to that file & the link now goes to this edited file. I thought I could embed the spreadsheet in text page by inserting 'object' & edit in MyInfo. Inserting object does place spreadsheet in MI page & is itself a link to the file.

Attatchement page is page behind note page, being the page where user can edit, view as read only. Right kf?
janrif wrote:And Petko, FYI, I licensed MI as I said I would in post titled upgrade policy but have not received license # so when you get a chance, I'd appreciate that.

Found the right link for the licensed version. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you.
Last edited by JanRif on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

kf wrote:I believe your confusion lies in expecting MyInfo to show the spreadhseet within the textpane. [snip]
Kevin that's correct, thank you. User can insert object & I was trying to figure out why MI wasn't updating the object after file was edited. Perhaps that's not what objects are about & that's my misunderstanding. Thanks for your help.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA