metadata window

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
JanRif

metadata window

Post by JanRif »

Petko, I'm wondering if you are considering a meta data window as an alternate to columns in document outline. In this way user could work with more space in the details/text window.

Also will there be browser tabs?

Thank you.
--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
ICQ 41116329
skype janrif
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Meta data window would be convenient tool for these columns that are rarely used (so they could stay hidden in the tree), so this is in our plans. I could not tell at this time, whether we will include it in MyInfo 4, but we decide to do so, we will include it in the Roadmap.

As for tabbed browsing, I think that it is not in our plans for MyInfo 4.
kf

Post by kf »

Just wanted to throw in my support for this (thanks for the positive support petko). Combined with the multiple document column editing, this could go a LONG way to meeting what I asked for recently about making data entry more efficient and less cumbersome. Especially if the GUI is laid out well...

I dont know what the development team is considering, petko, but an interesting idea would be having a dockable pane (I think of it being at the top of the textpane, but it could go anywhere) that would have all the data entry fields in it so as you switched documents, the "metadata pane" matched. When you are done entering or viewing the metadata, the pane could be quickly closed (by keyboard hotkey for example) and you would be left with the tree and textpanes again.

But, again, this is a cool idea JanRif!

Kevin

[edit] In fact, you could combine the mass editing into the same pane. One example, not without it's problems, is tag editing in the program Mp3Tag. Basically, the changes are applied to any selected files (documents in the case of MyInfo). Any fields not filled in retain the document's original data. Just a thought.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I agree on both points. When we implement additional meta-data editing pane, it will support mass-editing and you will be able to show/hide it.
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

Onfolio does a nice job of this. I use the Academic and Scientific version (the one prior to Microsoft purchasing the company.) I can put all my bibliographic information (ala Endnote) into the metadata pane, along with "last accessed" dates etc for Webpage resources.

Glen