Updating Links

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
kf

Updating Links

Post by kf »

Just for clarification: what happens to inter-topic links when topics are moved on the hard Disk? What if they are renamed? Are the links broken?

Is there a way to update links in batch? I know that intra-topic links are linked by something other than the document title so renaming does not affect the link.

Kevin
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Kevin, renaming a topic really does not break the links between documents, because MyInfo links to document unique ID. Unfortunately, there is no way to assign IDs to topics themself, so you if you rename a topic, the links to that topic will cease being valid. However, MyInfo is smart enough and if you move both topics that interlink to other hard disk/folder, the link will continue to work.

At this time there is no way to update the links with a new location.
kf

Post by kf »

That makes sense and matches what I've seen. Thanks for the clarification!

One thing that would be neat, and I've talked about this somewhere else, is to have a view of just the links within a topic. Then, you could see what links are there without having to dig through things. You could also make the interface somewhat intelligent, ie, check to see if the file exists and highlight the link if it doesnt (the user needs to update the link!). Just a thought. I think I had mentioned a more graphical solution before, sort of mind mappish. I can see this being rather hard to implement, but having a spreadsheet view of all links within a topic would be pretty handy!

Kevin