Milenix Terminology

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
jamal

Post by jamal »

Tomas wrote: Moreover, to create new topic in MyInfo, you have to use File->New. Not Topic->New. To open a topic, you use File->Open.
The File pull-down on the tool bar is a windows relic. Many software still use it to open non-files, but thoughtfully could spell out what they are opening. So, MyInfo could say File > New Topic and File > Open Topic, and that perhaps would reduce some confusion.
jamal

Post by jamal »

A state image is generally an icon. In some cases it can indicate a "state" - for example % of task completed - but in general it is used to indicate the "type" of a document.

Before I fully understood what state images were, I've come across this term several times but it never registered in me for what it really was - that they were simply icons.

Would it serve the user community better if it was simply called an "icon?" Perhaps "status icon," "document-type icon" etc. in reference to its subsets?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jamal, please keep in mind that there are two icons per document in MyInfo. The state icon, which you described and the document type icon, which shows if this is text document, web resource or document with embedded file.

So, maybe we can rename the "state image" to "state icon" or "status icon" and the other icon to remain "document type icon".
jamal

Post by jamal »

Thanks Petko.. I presumed too much, but I know so little. Thank you for reminding me about the three document-types; they are well explained in the Help.

The selections in the state image menu, namely general (address, appointment, contact, reminder, question, idea and inernet info); work (business, phone, mail, meeting, dollar, euro and confidential); and home (private, music, movie, book and picture) look more like classifications (type/subtype) than state (status) - although some of them are not a 100% fit. If they can be considered classifications, then they are subtype classification because types are already defined (text documents, web documents and data documents) . Task also fits subtype model; however, when a completed percentage is indicated it shows the status of the task. Flags and emoticons are bit blurred.

However, it looks like we really don't have document subtypes architected in the product.. These state images are just icons and they don't go deeper than the surface. Therefore, introducing the term "subtype" may not be appropriate unless and until we have real subtypes..

The state image icons are really good - it gives instant additional information visually. The discussion here is about what you call them, how you describe them and document them in a way that promotes intuitive use, quick learning and overall user-friendliness.

May be - the document type icons can be called "primary icons that indicate the document types" and state image icons can be called "secondary icons that further describe the content or status of the documents?"