4.3 bug? -- color changes

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
wsp

4.3 bug? -- color changes

Post by wsp »

The two icons on my tool bar for changing text color and text background color are no longer functioning. As far as I can tell, all the other icons are functioning properly.

I assume this is a bug?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

They work for me. Could you explain it in more detail?
wsp

Post by wsp »

I've done some further experiments, and I find that the problem shows up only on an external monitor plugged into my laptop. (I am using the Windows command "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor.") When I move MyInfo back over to my laptop screen, the icons function normally. So the problem is less serious than I thought.

On the external monitor, when I click on either icon, nothing apparently happens. But I've just now discovered that if I restore down MyInfo on that monitor and then click either of the two icons, the color palette appears in the upper left corner of my laptop screen -- but running off the screen so that I see only the two last rows of colors. Perhaps this is caused by different resolutions on the two monitors?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

So, it turns out that the buttons work, but they don't show the list of colors correctly (off-screen)? If this is the problem, I will see, if we can fix that for the next release.
wsp

Post by wsp »

I am now back home and have double-checked on my usual desktop computer; there is no problem here, so the glitch is definitely caused by an external monitor on my laptop.

Here is what happens on the laptop, as precisely as I can describe it. As I said, I am using both the laptop screen and an external monitor simultaneously. If I maximize MyInfo on the external monitor, nothing seems to happen when I click either of the icons. But if I reduce MyInfo to about half the screen (still on the same monitor), the color palette appears in the upper left corner of my laptop's screen -- or rather part of it appears there, because I can see only the two lower rows of colors and cannot move the palette downward to bring the rest of the colors in view.

I don't know if you can reproduce this behavior; possibly there's something distinctive in my laptop and monitor.

Incidentally, are you going to give us any further advice about searching for attributes in 4.3? I still don't understand the procedure, and I suspect that I'm not the only one a bit confused about this.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I will see, if I can reproduce the problem.

As for searching for attributes, it is quite easy, just see the help file for instructions (Searching for Information > Find a Document).

In general, you just type something like this:

Code: Select all

tag:@phone
- finds all documents, containing the @phone tag
or

Code: Select all

title:travel
- finds all documents, containing travel in their title

You can find the full list of supported attributes in the help file.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks, Petko. Actually, I did look at the help file--and thank you for keeping it up to date in each new release, by the way. Not all software developers do that.

I understand the main principles in searching for attributes, but there were a few subtleties that confuse me. For example, I discovered, through trial and error, that custom attributes with a binary Yes/No seem not to be searchable. (Is this correct?) But then I found a work-around by creating a new custom attribute with a pop-up list containing the words "yes" and "no." That is easily searchable.
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Yes, you are correct. Only custom attributes of type text, category and popup-list are searchable currently.