Rebuild Index

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
jamal

Rebuild Index

Post by jamal »

Rebuild Index was removed in version 5 saying that the index is always up to date and there is no need for rebuilding the index. For this to be true, the index should be cleaned up automatically after each delete. I doubt this is the case though. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You can clean up your content as much as you want, but you will end up with a bloated index that keeps growing with garbage that didn't get cleaned up. The index can grow larger than the content, and soon you will have an unnecessarily huge database.

Periodic index rebuilding is an essential maintenance to keep the database size in check. There were previous posts on this subject and the Rebuild Index was supposed to be brought back. When is it going to be available again?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

jamal, you are right that there should be a way to optimize the index, because it grows large with time. As for the other question - yes, MyInfo updates the index after delete, so it is always up to date, but not always small.

We will find a solution for this in the next update.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

jamal, you can bring back the Rebuild Index command by customizing the Tools menu (Tools > Customize). You can find the Rebuild Index command under Commands > Tools > Rebuild Index and drag it to the Tools menu.

I am sorry for finding this just now, I thought that Rebuild Index is removed completely from version 5, but it turned out that it was removed from the menu only.

P.S.: Again, the index is always up-to-date, but it grows larger after each update, so you can use this tool when you think the files gets too large.