Change default editor pane font?

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Paul Orton

Change default editor pane font?

Post by Paul Orton »

Currently trialling MyInfo (and very impressed so far) but can't see a way to do the above. Have I missed something?

Paul
Best wishes,
Paul
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Paul, you can do that in the Format > Styles dialog. There select the Normal style (which is the default text style for each new document) and change its properties in the Font dialog.
Paul Orton

Post by Paul Orton »

Thanks for that.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to have this under Tools/Options in the same dialogue where you can change the editor pane's background (and where you can change the font of the tree pane)?

paul
Best wishes,
Paul
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Paul Orton wrote: Wouldn't it be more consistent to have this under Tools/Options in the same dialogue where you can change the editor pane's background (and where you can change the font of the tree pane)?

paul
We moved it in the Styles, because this change is per topic, no a general setting. However it seems that a lot of people are confused about it, so we will change that in MyInfo 4 and include this setting again in the Options (as it was in MyInfo 2.6 and earlier). And it will be consistent across all files in MyInfo.
Paul Orton

Post by Paul Orton »

Thanks - glad I'm not the only one to find it confusing!

I'm going to register my copy now!
Best wishes,
Paul
kf

Post by kf »

Along those lines Petko, can you make the background colors of the tree and editor panes topic specific rather than program specific? I admit, this is a pretty trivial request, but one thing that I find myself trying (or wanting) to do.

For a lot of the color/format settings I think it makes sense to have a default setting: one that new topics inherit. But, if you want to take the time and trouble to change that setting for a certain document, it should be changeable.

... now that I think about it, can you do this to a certain extent with templates??

Thanks

Kevin
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Kevin, I agree that these settings could be more consistent. Our idea is create a template, which will be used for every new document by default, so you will be able to change all settings in this template and later change the settings for individual topics, if you want so.
kf

Post by kf »

Nice!

Kevin
writeaway

Post by writeaway »

No, Paul, you cannot change the default editor pane font, except by doing it for each and every document. You can create a new Style but you will not be able to find it except in the topic where you created it so you will have to repeat this process over and over again-endlessly. Neither can you make a new usable template, even though your help file says you can and tells you how. For some reason there seems to be a great deal of resistance to the idea of making this any easier and little allowance for individual preferences. Notice other posted questions and comments on similar topics.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

As I said in the other forum thread: you can change the default font for a topic text by just changing the font settings for the style with the name Normal in the Format > Styles dialog.

The Normal style is used by MyInfo for the non-formatted text in each document in the topic, so you have to do this change only once per topic.

If you want to have the same font settings for all new topics, just create a new topic, change the font name and font size for the Normal style in the Font > Style dialog and than save this topic as a template (in Program Files\Milenix\MyInfo 3\Configuration\Templates folder). Now, when you want to create a new topic, just use this template and the new topic will use the customized font settings.

We will make these steps easier in MyInfo 4, by including the default font settings in the Options dialog.
d_robert

Post by d_robert »

If i have a bunch of outlines w/ the font in the editor/text/right pane say, ariel 9 and want them all redone in ariel 10 in a outline...as best i can see the "options" pane in 4.0 sets the background color but not the text size defaults?
David McConnaughey
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Currently, you have to change it for each topic manually.