New user experience

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Donz

New user experience

Post by Donz »

Hi - I have been test driving this app for a week now

I used Evernote and AM-Notebook for the past year

Both these program have some things I don't like or lack - so, I decided to look for some new ones

My main conclusion about MyInfo is the following

I agree with a post lower down about how "SLUGGISH" the program is - I don't think it has anything to do with other programs in the background or hardware resources

I copied my AM-Notebook info to MyInfo page by page - the content is mainly images and web links
There are 6 catagories, 21 folders and the backup file shows 110meg size

On MyInfo it takes upto 10 seconds to switch between folders - if I do a save, it takes up to 1 minute

I don't experience any of this in Evernote or AM-Notebook - and I have all three Notes programs open at the same time

I like MyInfo alot and would put it no.1 but for this behaviour
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

We will try to improve this in MyInfo 4.

Just as an information: when MyInfo is sluggish for you, do you have only one big topic, or all open topics are so big (120MB+)?
Donz

Post by Donz »

Thanx Petko for responding

All my topics are more or less the same size - the size of all my info combined is about 110meg

It seems to switch faster from text only documents than from pages where there is a lot of graphics on

Still like the program though
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Donz wrote: I used Evernote and AM-Notebook for the past year

Both these program have some things I don't like or lack
I am also (once again) trying out both MyInfo and Evernote. What were the main things you liked about it over Evernote?

Thanks!
JanRif

Post by JanRif »

Donz wrote:[snip] I agree with a post lower down about how "SLUGGISH" the program is - I don't think it has anything to do with other programs in the background or hardware resources [/snip]
This may sound a little weird but take a look at the settings for menu transitions, i.e. slide/fade, etc. Set it to 'none' & see if that helps the sluggish problem.
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield, CT USA
BobMack

Post by BobMack »

The "sluggishness" that hinders my work has nothing to do with menu effects and other extraneous CPU cycle thieves, but seems to result directly from the MyInfo indexing process.

As I type this post, I'm also in the process of attempting to cut and paste a block of several dozen documents from one topic to another. Down in the lower left corner, the status bar tells me, "Deleting documents and reindexing" ... by experience I know this will take several minutes on my 2.53 gHz P4, 1Gb RAM machine.

Petko has mentioned before that the company will be working on a faster indexing algorithm for v4, so I am optimistic that this problem will soon be reduced, or (I cross my fingers) entirely eliminated. If the
"faster algorithm" turns out not to be speedy enough, perhaps the good people at Milenix might consider a function that suspends indexing temporarily while other operations are taking place, or perhaps offers the option of suspending indexing until N minutes of inactivity, a la the Copernic file search system.

Don't get me wrong- I was thrilled when v3.5 came out with the enhanced search capability, made possible by this indexing process. One of the things I like so much about MyInfo is that it's clear that the developers are working hard to make each version more usable than its predecessor. Improvements to the indexing system will continue this process.

And now to return to MyInfo, where... yes!.... the cut and paste operation has finished. :D
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

BobMack

Post by BobMack »

That is excellent news indeed!