Roadmap for V5

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
gcoulthard

Roadmap for V5

Post by gcoulthard »

There seem to have been many suggestions on how to improve MyInfo, and the response is typically to wait for the "next version." This leads to questions regarding:

1) What is your timeline for version 5? Beta program?
2) What features are you currently committing to for V5?
3) What suggestions have you collected, but not committed to?

Perhaps making use of your blog -- i.e., more frequent posts -- would be a good way to get the word out. I really like the product, but would like to see it moving forward if I am going to commit my time, effort, and money in using the software.

Thanks for any input -- Glen
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Glen, we have a long list of features, that might be in ver 5, but it's too early to give any exact information. There will be a few more minor releases of ver. 4, before we even start deciding what will be in MyInfo 5.

When I have more information about MyInfo 5 development/beta programs, I will certainly post first here about it (and in the blog).
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

We have a roadmap ready for the 4.x versions of MyInfo.

I have added details about MyInfo 5, but remember that except for the hoist feature, everything else is preliminary information and may change.

We will conduct a large survey after the release of MyInfo 4.2, and we use the results when creating MyInfo 5 Roadmap.
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

Thanks for the update, Petko.

Out of the list of v5 enhancements, these excite me the most:

* Web backup/synchronization
* Attributes per document (now all documents have the same attributes)
* Multiple attachments per document
* Indexing of attachments content

I'm really not that interested in the hoist feature, although many people have requested it. However, the ability to sync separate machines via the Web would be very nice. Also, the "attributes per document" would limit my need to create numerous mio files for different purposes/data. And, lastly, the multiple, indexed attachments are simply a necessity.

Thanks for the report.
Glen
jamal

Post by jamal »

With the new features in version 4 MyInfo has taken a big leap forward. In version 5, backup/synchronization, custom attributes and indexing of attachments will be very useful.

While web synchronization is useful for many users, an option to backup/synchronize on a local drive will be useful to all users to maintain regular backup and synchronize between local and portable instances.

Indexing of attachments makes lot of sense, especially when you think that the information contained in the attachments are part of the topic, and functionally they are no different from any other document in the topic.
hscott

Post by hscott »

First... great program that keeps getting better!

Thought I'd add an item to the "wish list"...

I would like to see a more robust and complete report generator (printable and exportable) to facilitate user selectable content and format including both TREE and DOCUMENT attributes and content.

The attributes feature provides exceptional and very powerful database functionality for MyInfo, but this lack of "database" reporting greatly limits the additional applications that are possible if this capability could be added.

Thanks for the great program.

Scott
jamal

Post by jamal »

More thoughts on indexing the attachements. If this feature is going to be added, I think providing an option to index or not to index an attachment would make it more versatile, with the default being "no indexing."

In the absence of some configuration option to exclude certain file types from indexing, the user should be able to mark image files, sound files, pure data files etc. from getting indexed. Some of these files may choke the indexer and waste time.

Also, as is the case currently, if a user does not want a document to be indexed, he/she can simply add it as an attachment.
rigas

Post by rigas »

Dont forget export to a Word Outline --or simple texte outline that can be read by a Word processor.
dspady

Post by dspady »

Something I would very much like to see in MyInfo is the ability to choose on the fly as to where a web document would be imported. This is possible in Ultra Recall and is a VERY useful feature.
Nature has no reset button!